Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sunday Clippings

I'm routine oriented, and with my recent determination to save, my Sunday routine of course now includes a required trip to the store for the Sunday newspaper.

When I started coupon clipping earlier this summer, I initially balked at having to purchase a newspaper just for the coupons.  That may be one of the things that kept me from coupon clipping in the past.   Yes, I worried about having to spend a big $1.75 on a newspaper only to not find any worthwhile coupons!

I learned quickly not to be picky if I wanted to save.    I've always had my preferred brands and a quick initial glance through the available coupons proved to be disappointing when I didn't find very many of the products I normally bought.   So, I let go of my preferences, and looked again.   At a second, more thorough glance, I found things that I may be willing to try if the savings were good.   With that philosophy, more coupons got clipped.  

Take this weekend for example.   Would I ever, on my own, purchase 10 boxes of pizza rolls?   Or four cans of soup when I prefer to make my own?   Definitely not.    But I knew there may be nights when I come home and don't have the time or energy to do more than open a can of soup.  Or maybe I may have some friends over and may need to through a box or two of pizza rolls into the oven for a quick snack.  

If I want to save, then I need to change too. 

Anyway, this Sunday's newspaper proved to be a good purchase.  Today's coupon inserts included Red Plum. Smart Source, and P&G.  I spent $1.75 on a newspaper and clipped $27.75 worth of coupons.   Definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment